Skip to main content
This section is included in your selections.

“School” means an institution of learning, private or public, which offers instruction in the several branches of learning required to be taught in the public school of the state of California.

“Second dwelling unit” is either a detached or attached dwelling unit which provides complete independent living facilities for one or more persons. It shall include permanent provisions for living, sleeping, eating, cooking, and sanitation on the same parcel or parcels as the primary unit is situated.

“Short-term rental” means transient occupancy of and/or short-term rental of an existing single-family residence for short-term vacation lodging for a period of time less than 30 consecutive days as may be advertised or offered by a property owner, or by residential management service, or on a property management website. “Short-term rental” does not include those exemptions identified in SCC 15.10.060(C).

“Sign” means anything whatsoever placed, erected, constructed, posted, painted, printed, tacked, nailed, glued, stuck, carved or otherwise fastened, affixed or made visible for out-of-door informational or advertising purpose in any manner whatsoever, on the ground or on any tree, wall, bush, rock, post, fence, building structure, or thing whatsoever. For the purpose of this title, the gross surface area of both sides of a double-faced sign shall be used in determining the advertising area.

“Sign, advertising” means any sign other than a nameplate, directional or informational sign and being remotely located off the premises where the product or service is available. Such a sign shall not include any pennants, banners, whirligigs, flags, sparklers, horns, sirens, or other similar visual or noise-making attractors.

“Sign, directional” means any sign which gives directions to a community or public place. Such a sign shall not include any pennants, banners, visual or noise-making attractors.

“Signs, illuminated” means any sign which is lighted internally or by an outside light source for night-time visibility but not including any flashing, nervous, rotating, “traveler” or moving lights or messages.

“Signs, informational” means any sign located on the premises or within 100 feet therefrom, which is confined to identifying the operator and the name of the product, service, or facility, together with trademark or copyright, available on the premises. Such a sign shall not include any pennants, banners, whirligigs, flags, sparklers, horns, sirens, or other similar visual or noise-making attractors.

“Spring” means a concentrated discharge of groundwater coming out at the surface as flowing water.

“Story” means the portion of a building included between the upper surface of any floor and the upper surface of the floor next above, except that the topmost story shall be that portion of a building included between the upper surface of the topmost floor and the ceiling or roof above.

“Stream (creek)” is a general term for a body of flowing water. Streams may be classified as follows:

1. Perennial. A water course that has water in its channel at all times and flows continuously.

2. Intermittent. A seasonal watercourse that has water in its channel for most of the year and which flows only when it receives water from springs or from some surface source such as melting snow.

3. Ephemeral. A watercourse that carries only surface runoff and flows during and immediately after periods of precipitation and whose channel is at all times above the water table.

“Stream” does not include roadside ditches or artificial drainage ways constructed or maintained for site drainage, road drainage or other like purposes.

“Street” means a public thoroughfare 40 feet or more in width which affords a primary means of access to abutting property.

“Structure” means any object constructed, erected, or installed in any area including structures, buildings, travel trailers, mobilehomes, tents, fences, towers, smoke stacks, and utility lines.

“Supportive housing” means housing with no limit on length of stay, that is occupied by the target population and that is linked to on-site or off-site services that assist the supportive housing resident in retaining the housing, improving his or her health status, and maximizing his or her ability to live and, when possible, work in the community.

“Swale” means a depression or low-lying area of land, natural or artificial, that tends to collect water and may be moist or marshy. (Ord. 1117, eff. 1/1/23)